Dutch Bliss

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Yesterday I called my beloved sister Meagan because it was her birthday. She turned 27 years old which makes me ancient. When it’s her birthday, it reminds me about how old I actually am. Until yesterday I might have said I was still 27. I can’t imagine how my parents feel when it’s my birthday.

Anyways, I mentioned to her that I can’t believe how she is 27, has a three year old, is pregnant with twins, with a cute little house living in Lynden. I think I’m a bit envious. She reminded me that while I might be childless and turning 30, being a stay at home wife living in Europe is a bit more exciting. When we move back to N. America, I can have a cute Lynden life too. I guess that’s a good reminder that I should be thankful for my life now – and be content!

When I called to wish her happy birthday and Olivia wanted to talk with us too. We often “talk” together on speaker phone when I call. The conversation goes like this:

Me: Hi Olivia. What are you doing?

Olivia: I’m just standing here. What are you doing?

Me: I’m talking to you. Did you have ballet today?

Olivia: Huh?

Meagan: Did you have ballet today? What did you do at ballet?

Olivia: (at the top of her lungs, excitedly) I had ballet today and I ran around and jumped and teacher Heather and teacher Hope … (her voice gets softer as she runs into the other room).

We laugh. She comes back and we “talk” some more. So last night I asked her whose birthday it was.

Me: Olivia, do you know whose birthday it is today?

Olivia: It’s mama’s birthday.

Me: What song do we sing when it’s someone’s birthday?

Olivia: I don’t know. What song do we sing?

Meagan: We sing the birthday song. Do you remember the birthday song?

Olivia: Yes. I remember the birthday song.

Meagan: Can you sing it for mama?

Olivia: “Jesus loves me, this I know…” (she sings the whole song).

Meagan and I both have tears in our eyes and are trying not to laugh.

Meagan: That was wonderful, sweetpea. But that’s not the birthday song I remember. Doesn’t it go “Happy birthday to you…”

Olivia: (bursting into song): Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, (louder) happy birthday dear mama, (louder still) happy birrrrrthdaaaay to mama, happy birthday to you.

Me: I think that was the movie star version. See, how could I not be envious?

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Your little Olivia sounds like one sweet girl! Enjoy the time with your mom.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home