Dutch Bliss

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A few days ago, when I was saying goodbye to my mom, she mentioned that having me home for the holidays this year reminded her of when I’d come home from Trinity Western University (my alma mater) for two reasons: 1) the timing is similar – I left for Holland in September, came home for Christmas, and left again in January; and 2) My husband was never around this holiday because he was in Vancouver working!

So now that I’m back in Holland and my life is a bit slower, I've been reflecting on that statement and come to realize that sometimes this does feel a bit like I'm away at college! And there are other similarities as well…

Well first of all, I'm not working. And I can sleep in until I'm not tired. I have the freedom to meet my friend Suzanne for lunch almost any day. I have classes (starting in Feb of course). I have limited amounts of money. And I have a “roommate”!

Ironically, the Christmas holidays also were similar to the old college days because it seems like I've divided Christmas and New Years up with a boyfriend/husband's family for so many years that I've lost count.

I often felt transplanted over the holidays as my "stuff" was always back in my dorm room and most of my friends were not around to hang out with. Thankfully, this holiday season my some of my stuff (clothing especially) was at my parents’ house and my friends were my family, so it was almost the best of all worlds.

However, I always looked forward to going back to college - having a regular routine again, seeing my friends, being independent. College was one of the best times of my life. Interestingly, returning back to Holland has not quite been the "old college return" that I might have expected. It has definitely taken me a few days to get back in the "swing of things".

Of course the first couple of days were emotional not only after saying goodbye, but with the sleep deprivation and my period starting on the plane (!), I am still crying periodically. I even woke Brad up at 5am Saturday morning because I was crying too loudly! Poor Brad - he doesn't ever remember me crying this much in our (nearly) 5 years of marriage.

Strangely, I was also bit timid about venturing out and doing things that I should be completely comfortable with such as going to the grocery store! I was scared that I'd have forgotten all of the Dutch I learned over the past two months. Brad almost had to drag me out to the market on Saturday to buy flowers.

Finally, on Sunday night I talked with my friend Suzanne and Monday we went out for coffee, dessert, and shopping just like old times. It was nice to get back into the swing of things with one who’s been in my situation. She completely understands. Plus, she's on par with me as far as shopping is concerned, so we work well together. Funny thing is that - this time - she was the only one of us to purchase anything since I am kind of over my limit from Christmas.

And today I went to IKEA (because it was Tuesday) and I thought "I'm baaack!!" almost as soon as I walked in which is a sure sign that I am getting back to normal! So while I might be occasionally teary-eyed when I think of my little Olivia, all in all, I AM back.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugs my friend.....I am glad you are getting back to "normal" as you put it. I can't imagine how tough it must be to be so far away. When I end up in this situation, I will know to contact you for encouragement and tools on how to handle the new way of life in another part of the world.

Roni

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home