Dutch Bliss

Friday, August 24, 2007

In the modern age of technology and the internet, pregnant women have at their disposal a wealth of information available (some good and some, well, not so good). Many women sign up for a weekly e-newsletter to give them up-to-date information about the growth of their baby and the physical symptoms they may experience throughout the pregnancy.

I didn't sign up for an e-newsletter, but regularly google to find out what's happening with baby and me this week. "__ (insert #) weeks pregnant" brings up about a thousand pages, so I usually read one or two of the first 10 to give me an idea of what to expect. The information is usually pretty consistent from one to the other, so I haven't really been too worried about any inaccuracies. Until today.

I'm 21 weeks today and the first site I read was from www.i-am-pregnant.com which suggested the following:

Some women also get strong cravings for foods. If you notice a craving for something unhealthy, you should contact your doctor. Cravings unusual things is known as pica. Some women crave cigarette ashes, charcoal, beer and other non-food items during this time.

The last time I checked beer was considered a normal food item - I believe drinks are included in the food category - and can normally be craved just like lemonade (my current favorite), milk, or even water.

And since when do cravings start at 21 weeks? I craved chicken nuggets in weeks 5-8; red grapes from 15-20; and lemonade for about the past two weeks.



4 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I hope you're feeling great now, my friend! I've been enjoying reading your pregnancy posts. Hugs!

10:32 PM  
Blogger ReverendKathryn said...

You're pregnant?! I have missed reading your blog lately so obviously I missed the good news. Congrats. Hope things are going well and the cravings don't get too wierd. I crave all sorts of stuff and I'm not pregnant yet, but we'll see eh?
Miss you guys.

12:25 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I craved puffed wheat squares and antacids.

Many congratulations! How exciting to check in on your blog and read your news!

7:10 AM  
Blogger skypeyourskincare said...

Do they mean the bottle? I can see munching on the beer bottle dangerous, odd & just downright strange!

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home