Dutch Bliss

Thursday, October 19, 2006

While I'm on the subject of IKEA, I should mention that there are a few differences between IKEA in N. America and here in Holland.

The store layout a bit different and is hard for me to get used to. At home, there are two floors - one for display and one for product. Here the products and the displays are mixed together on the two floors.


You liked that bedspread on the display bed? Great, it is available in the next section. You want those dishes in the display kitchen? Well, the dishes section is right around the corner. This is fine until you've gone down to the first level and forgot to pick up something on level 2. I haven't found a way to get back up with the shopping cart.

Speaking of the shopping carts, here you have to pay a 50cent deposit for the cart and it requires the correct change. And from level 2 to level 1 there is a shopping cart escalator separate from the one that takes you and me to the next level. You sort of send your cart ahead and hope it makes it down okay. Then you get on your escalator and meet it at the bottom.


The restaurant has a section outside the entrance for cart parking. It is hilarious to see the half full carts "parked" outside waiting for their owners. Ironically, cart parking is free. And another thing, the restauant has a huge, smelly smoking section.

And don't try to return an item without your receipt. I learned that one first hand. Thankfully the cashier was gracious to this N. American and gave me store credit "this time only". I tried to explain that in Canada you can take anything back at anytime and get store credit. She didn't seem to care - she wasn't rude, but she was probably thinking that I should have known because it is clearly marked - IN DUTCH!

Next post, I'll be discussing why "you'll be fine, everyone speaks English" isn't good enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home