Dutch Bliss

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Got to love IKEA. Pronounced EE-KAY-AH in Holland, the big yellow and blue building beckoned me as I biked into the parking lot. And of course, here in Holland, there is a dedicated bike lane in the parking lot and bicycle parking area in the underground parking garage.

I have actually been to IKEA five times in past eleven days. I have been busy shopping and purchasing fun and exciting stuff to decorate our new home. The first time Brad and I went together to check it out - this was prior to moving into our new home. The next time I went alone (on my bike!!!!!) to purchase bedding because I didn't want to use the sheets provide by our landlord (they were used). And since then I've been back a few more times and let me say that under the right circumstances, one can pack a LOT of stuff on the back of a bike!


One thing I've found is that no matter what country you are in, you can count on certain things about IKEA.

1. You can count on the price. Everyone knows that the prices at IKEA are quite reasonable and definitely an affordable way to furnish your home nicely. I'm not saying that they have the best quality, but we all can agree that it is affordable. And since there are no Winners or TJ Maxxes here, this is all I have to work with. Incidentally, the prices here (while in Euros) are actually cheaper than in Canada or the US even after the exchange is calculated. Might have something to do with our proximity to Sweden...

2. You can count on consistent quality (or lack thereof). The quality seems to be the same as in N. America. There is the solid wood, the cheap pressed wood, and the plastic stuff here too. Actually, most of the products here are the same as at home. I could have the same dishes and the same bedroom furniture here if I wanted.

3. There is an "As Is" section. That would be the "Koopjes Hoek" section here. For those of you who aren't familiar with IKEA, this is the reduced section consisting of items that have been returned, the floor models, and other miscellaneous items that have been discounted. Don't get me started - I love the "As Is" section in my Vancouver IKEA. In fact, most of my belongings (currently in storage) have an "As Is" stamp on them somewhere. Needless to say, I am already hooked on the "Koopjes Hoek" section and am prepared to bike out there once per week just to see if there is anything I can't live without.

4. And there is cheap breakfast. Yes, the breakfast is 1 euro which a little bit more expensive than Canada, but the breakfast is better. Here, true to European style, the breakfast is 3 rolls, meat, cheese, a hard boiled egg, and coffee. I MIGHT even be able to convince Brad to go there on a regular basis just for the breakfast.

And I just want to say one more thing - while I've now given IKEA a good portion of Brad's first paycheck, I have been a good shopper and have many nice things because I've spent my money wisely. I'm a good steward. And I know that I'll be put on restriction if I go too crazy. I don't know what that would look like...maybe Brad would make me stay at home. Oh wait...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home